Intrade, the Irish based online trading exchange website has ceased trading with immediate effect. Visitors to Intrade.com are greeted with the following:
To Our Customers:
With sincere regret we must inform you that due to circumstances recently discovered we must immediately cease trading activity on www.intrade.com.
These circumstances require immediate further investigation, and may include financial irregularities which in accordance with Irish law oblige the directors to take the following actions:
- Cease exchange trading on the website immediately.
- Settle all open positions and calculate the settled account value of all Member accounts immediately.
- Cease all banking transactions for all existing Company accounts immediately.
During the upcoming weeks, we will investigate these circumstances further and determine the necessary course of action.
To mitigate any further risk to members’ accounts, we have closed and settled all open contracts at fair market value as of the close of business on March 10, 2013, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of our customers’ use of the website. You may view your account details and settled account balances by logging into the website.
At this time and until further notice, it is not possible to make any payments to members in accordance with their settled account balance until the investigations have concluded.
The Company will continue the maintenance and technology operations of the exchange system so that all information is preserved properly.
We are not able to provide telephone support or live help services at this time, please contact the company by email at: email@example.com
We appreciate your custom and support over the years. We are committed to reporting faithfully the status of things as they are clarified and hope you will bear with us as we do all we can to resume operations as promptly as possible.
The Board of Directors of Intrade the Prediction Market Limited
Business Insider’s coverage goes over a lot of the backstory that led up to all this.
Also, Zerohedge’s coverage of the event here.
Support Rebooting Capitalism, Tip with Bitcoin
If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider tipping with Bitcoin.
- I don't agree with you Money Crumbs.
- more roubini-forecasting-awesomeness for your comedic pleasure: Nov. 4
- [...] Nouriel Roubini has just put out
- Jay, you don't know hat you are
- Stefan, you can help the Society by
- Great rsponse, Mark ! Your brain works ! :-)
- Stefan Fincken (ein Deutscher ?), you are
- Agree with you ! Command economies will NEVER
- [...] About the only three major market
- [...] is the third article in my